RETURN TO CONTENTS PAGE
RETURN TO MEDIAEVAL FAMILIES PAGE
The name de Lacy was derived from Lassi, near Aulnai, belonging to the See of Bayeux.
[LACI351] Hugh de Lacy m2. Emma . [LACZ361] Walter de Lacy of Weobley m. Emmeline . [LACI361] Ilbert de Lacy m. ? . . [LACI371] Robert de Lacy m. Maud . . . [LACI382] Aubreye de Lacy m. [LISO381] Robert de Lisours
[LACI351] Hugh de Lacy (born at Lassie, c.1010) married 1. ---; then 2. (c.1032) Emma.
[LACZ361] Walter de Lacy (born c.1042, son of Hugh & Emma) is dealt with under LACY (2) below.
[LACI361] Ilbert (born c.1036, son of Hugh & Emma) was not heir to his father, but he was heir to his mother Emma, who seems to have been his father's second wife. Emma had given to the Abbey of St. Amand, when she became a nun there, land in the vill of Bodes. Ilbert was tenant-in-chief at the Domesday Survey in Lincs, Notts and Yorks, as well as being a sub-tenant (for example to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux). Many of these lands were subsequently held of Ilbert's descendants as members of the Honour of Pontefract. He founded Pontefract Castle.
ruins of Pontefract Castle
Ilbert married (c.1058) Hawise, and died c.1093.
[LACI371] Robert de Lacy married (c.1095) Maud. Robert was exiled and his honours were forfeited (1102). He died before 1130.
[LACI382] Aubreye (born c.1100, daughter of Robert) married (c.1113) [LISO381] Robert (see LISOURS).
[LACI351] Hugh de Lacy m2. Emma . [LACZ361] Walter de Lacy of Weobley m. Emmeline . . [LACZ374] Agnes de Lacy m. [LACY441] Geoffrey Talbot
[LACZ361] Walter de Lacy (born c.1042, son of [LACI351] Hugh, see under LACY (1) earlier), of Weobley, Herefordshire, 1st Baron Lacy, married (c.1066) Emmeline. He accompanied William FitzOsbern (see HEREFORD (FITZOSBERN) EARLDOM), on his expedition into Wales (1069), where they defeated the men of Brecknock.
Walter held great estates in England, in particular in Shropshire where he held the manors of Bitterley, Corfton, Cressage, Ludlow, Middlehope, Moreton Say, Patton, Rushbury, Stoke on Tern, Stokesay, Wheathill and Wilderhope. It is probable that Walter founded Ludlow Castle, but it was built successively by his sons Roger and Hugh.
Walter also held a large strip of land in the Welsh Marches, which became known as Ewyas Lacy. This stretched from Walterstone at the southern end of the Olchon Valley to Craswell at its upper end, together with Llanthony in the adjacent Ewyas Valley. In due course, a number of motte and bailey fortifications were built, at Walterstone, Llancillo, Rowlestone and Clodock, a stone keep at Longtown Castle (see later), and two monasteries at Llanthony (c.1108, see later) and Craswall (c.1217). See later for the redistribution after 1535.
Walter died at Gloucester, St Peter, by falling off a ladder (2nd April 1084). After his death his estates passed to his son Roger, 2nd Baron Lacy.
Walter's son Roger rebelled against King William II (1088 and 1095) and was consequently banished (1095) to Normandy, and his lands given to his brother Hugh, 3rd Baron Lacy. Hugh died without issue (1122) and his lands passed to the crown. The lands were subsequently restored to the Lacy family by EMPRESS MATILDA, see later.
[LACZ374] Agnes aka Emma (born c.1078, daughter of Walter, and sister of the above-mentioned Roger and Hugh) married [LACY441] Geoffrey Talbot. (Geoffrey changed his surname to Lacy after their 1st child ([LACY451] Gilbert) was born (see next two entries).
[LACY441] Geoffrey Talbot m. [LACZ374] Agnes de Lacy . [LACY452] Lady Sibyl de Lacy of Ludlow m2. [DIN2361] Sir Josce of Dinan . [LACY451] Marcher Lord Gilbert of Ewyas m. ? . . [LACY463] Eve de Lacy m. [LONC431] Hugh de Longchamp . . [LACY462] Lord Hugh II of Meath m1. [MONM462] Rose of Monmouth . . . [LACY473] --- de Lacy of Meath m. [ARU2451] Marcher Lord William of Clun . . . [LACY471] Lord Walter of Meath m. [ABER384] Margaret of Abergavenny . . . . [LACY481] Gilbert de Lacy of Ewyas Lacy m. [NORF462] Isabel of Norfolk . . . . . [LACY492] Maud de Lacy of Ewyas Lacy m2. [GENE471] Lord Geoffrey of Geneville
[LACY441] Geoffrey Talbot (born c.1078, possibly son of Richard, son of Georg, son of Demarg) married (c.1090) [LACZ374] Agnes de Lacy (see last entry). He changed his name to Lacy, after their 1st child (Gilbert) was born.
[LACY452] Sybil (daughter of Geoffrey), Lady of Ludlow, married 1. (c.1112) Payne FitzJohn (killed 10th July 1137 pursuing Welsh raiders, see FITZEUSTACE); then 2. (c.1138) [DIN2381] Sir Josce (see DINAN).
[LACY451] Gilbert de Lacy (born at Ewyas, c.1104) married (c.1132) Agnes de Lacy, and became 4th Baron Lacy. He supported EMPRESS MATILDA and in compensation was granted (c.1143) those lands earlier confiscated after his uncle Hugh de Lacy had died without issue (1122). However, it was some time before he succeeded in retrieving all his lands, perhaps (c.1150) Ludlow Castle and then (c.1155) the lands then held by the disgraced Roger FitzMiles (formerly 4th Earl of Hereford, latterly a monk). Gilbert thus became Marcher Lord of Ewyas (see MARCHES). He died 1163.
[LACY463] Eve (born c.1135, daughter of Gilbert) married [LONC431] Hugh (see LONGCHAMP).
[LACY462] Hugh II de Lacy (born at Ewias Lacy, c.1138, son of Gilbert), 5th Baron Lacy, Lord of Ludlow, married 1. [MONM462] Rose (daughter of Baderon, see MONMOUTH). Hugh was Lord of Meath (1172), and then Governor of Dublin. King Henry II seized Ludlow Castle from Hugh (1177), perhaps as surety against his good behaviour in Ireland, and placed it in the care of Thurstan FitzSimon, which was eventually returned to the Lacy family after Hugh's death. Rose died (c.1180), and afterwards Hugh married 2. (c.1181) Rose O'Connor (daughter of King Roderick O'Connor). King Henry II divested Hugh of his governorship (1181) because he had married the daughter of an Irish King, without royal licence. The governorship was then granted by Henry II to John FitzRichard FitzEustace, who (presumably) soon after changed his surname to LACI (see LINCOLN (EUSTACE then LACY) EARLDOM).
In 1185 Hugh endowed the derelict Llanthony Castle, in the Vale of Ewyas, with funds to rebuild its Priory Church, and this work was completed by 1217.
(7 September 2011)
About this time he also built Longtown Castle in the adjacent valley
(7 September 2011)
Hugh built a castle at Derelagh [Durrow], Meath, (1185), within the precincts of an old Celtic monastery. Whilst visiting this castle the following year, a youth (Malva-Miadiach) stepped out and decapitated Hugh with one blow of an axe, both body and head falling into the ditch of the castle (25th July 1186 [elsewhere 1185]).
[LACY473] --- (unnamed daughter of Hugh by his 1st wife Rose) married [ARU2451] William (son of William FitzAlan, see ARUNDEL (FITZALAN) EARLDOM).
[LACY471] Walter de Lacy (born at Ewias Lacy, c.1172, eldest son of Hugh by his 1st wife Rose).
He was still under age when his father died, and so all his lands were escheated to the crown. Walter became Lord of Meath (probably 1185). Some of his escheated lands were later released to Walter (1188), with Ludlow Castle being returned probably 1190. But in 1194 Walter joined John de Courcy, Lord of Ulster, in ravaging lands in Ireland belonging to Prince John, who was in revolt against his brother King Richard I. Unfortunately the two brothers became reconciled, and Richard promptly deprived Walter of all his land and castles. His offer to pay a fine of 1,000 marks was not accepted, but he finally agreed to pay 3,100 marks (1198) and had his lands and castles restored.
Walter married (licensed November 1200) [ABER384] Margaret (daughter of Marcher Lord William, see ABERGAVENNY (BRIOUZE) BARONY).
Walter granted Ralph de Toeni in free marriage with his daughter Pernel, the manors of Britford, Wilts, and Yarkhill, Herefordshire, which grant was witnessed inter alia by John de Lacy, [7th] Earl of Lincoln, so created 22nd November 1232. This John de Lacy, was the grandson of John FitzRichard FitzEustace mentioned above as having replaced Walter de Lacy's father Hugh as Governor of Dublin (1181). It is possible, though not proven, that these two distinct families, both of which had changed their surname to Lacy in the past, were somehow related. At the end of his life, Walter was infirm and blind, and in great debt. When he died (February 1241) the king immediately ordered the sheriffs of Herefordshire and Shropshire to take all his lands into custody.
Pernel/Petronilla (born c.1195, daughter of Walter) married 1. Ralph VI (see TONY); then 2. (before October 1256) William de St. Omer.
[LACY481] Gilbert de Lacy (born at Ewias Lacy, c.1196, son & heir of Walter), married [NORF469] Isabel (daughter of Earl Hugh, see NORFOLK (BIGOD) EARLDOM). Gilbert died at Trim, Co. Meath (1230, buried at Llanthony), so predeceased his father, and thereby did not inherit his estates. His only son Walter then died around 1238-41, so his two daughters Maud and Margaret were the sole heirs of their grandfather Walter. Afterwards, Isabel married 2. [FZG2441] Sir John Geoffrey FitzPiers (see FITZGEOFFREY).
[LACY492] Maud (born at Dublin, c.1228, daughter & coheir of Gilbert, and coheir of their grandfather Walter) married 1. (1244) Piers de Genevre. King Henry III then apportioned Walter de Lacy's lands into two equal portions, one to go to Maud and her husband (who thereby acquired Ludlow Castle), and the other to be held in trust for her sister Margaret (who then married John de Verdun shortly afterwards). Piers died 1249 and Maud afterwards married 2. (by October 1252) [GENE471] Sir Geoffrey (see GENEVILLE BARONY).
To counter a possible threat from the rebellious Marcher Lords, the Laws in Wales Act (1535) was produced, and one effect was to divide Ewyas Lacy. The portion in the Olchon Valley was transferred to Herefordshire, designated the Hundred of Ewyas Lacy. The portion in the Ewyas Valley, specifically Llanthony, was placed in the newly formed county of Monmouthshire, which was ambiguously part of England or Wales until firmly placed in Wales (1974).