RETURN TO CONTENTS PAGE
RETURN TO MEDIAEVAL FAMILIES PAGE
SCRIVELSBY FEUDAL BARONY
[MARM401] William of Marmion m. ? . [MARM411] Robert de Marmion of Tamworth m. Hawise . . [MARM421] Roger de Marmion of Scrivelsby m. [ABIT413] --- of Worcester . . . [MARM431] Lord Robert of Scrivelsby m. Milicent de Brabant . . . . [MARM441] Robert Marmion m. [RETH374] Elizabeth de Rethel . . . . . [MARM452] Mabel de Marmion of Scrivelsby m1. [SAY2451] Lord Hugh de Saye of Richard's Castle
[MARM401] William de Marmion (born c.1012), of Fontenay-le-Marmion (Normandy).
[MARM411] Robert de Marmion (born c.1040), of Fontenay (Normandy), and Tamworth (Staffs), married Hawise. He died c.1106.
[MARM421] Roger de Marmion (born c.1065), of Fontenay (Normandy), and Scrivelsby (Lincs), 3rd Lord Scrivelsby, married [ABIT413] --- (daughter of Urso, see ABITOT). He died c.1130. He acquired Tamworth Castle (built c.1070) after the death of his uncle Robert le Despenser (brother of [ABIT401] Urso d'Abitot, see ABITOT). The Marmion family held Tamworth Castle until the male line eased (1294).
view up the tower
(30 July 2016)
[MARM431] Robert (born c.1093), 4th Lord Scrivelsby, married [RETH378] Milicent de Brabant (see RETHEL). Robert was fighting against Ranulph, 5th Earl of Chester, at Coventry Priory (September 1143), when he fell into a ditch and broke his thigh, whereupon a common soldier cut off his head. Afterwards, Milicent married 2. [CAMV439] Sir Richard de Camville (see CAMVILLE).
[MARM441] Robert of Fontney, Tamworth and Scrivelsby, 5th Lord Scrivelsby, said to have married [RETH374] Elizabeth (born c.1100, daughter of Gervase de Rethel, see RETHEL COUNTY). Robert died c. October 1181.
[MARM452] Mabel (daughter of Robert) married 1. [SAY2451] Hugh (see SAY BY ADOPTION); then 2. Reynold.
[MARM451] Robert (son of Robert), 3rd Baron Marmion of Tamworth, itinerant justice (1184-1205), married 1. Matilda de Beauchamp; then 2. Phillippa. He died 1218.
[MARM461] Robert (son of Robert & Phillipa), 1st Baron Marmion of Winteringham, married Avis and thereby acquired the manor of West Tanfield. The Marmion family continued to hold West Tanfield until 1387. At a much later date there became a 15th Century gatehouse belonging to the manor house, which became known as the Marmion Tower, and stands today.
|Tomb of Sir
John Marmion (died 1387)
last of the Marmion male line
in West Tanfield Church
at West Tanfield