RETURN TO CONTENTS PAGE
RETURN TO MEDIAEVAL FAMILIES PAGE
At the Domesday Survey (1086) Erneis de Buron, Sheriff of Yorkshire, was a tenant-in-chief to the king in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. He was succeeded by his son Hugh. By 1118 Geoffrey FitzPayne held as tenant-in-chief to the king most of these lands, and also acquired other parcels in land in both counties, including for example the fee of Warter (Yorkshire) where he was the founder of the Augustinian Priory there, and the extensive royal manor of [Market] Weighton which Geoffrey held of the sovereign. This latter holding excluded the church, which had been assigned (1133) by the king to William FitzHerbert the treasurer of York.
Geoffrey's holdings in Lincolnshire as tenant-in-chief were recorded, and these comprised lands originally held by Erneis de Buron at Barkwith [West], Brocklesby, Burgh-on-Bain, Burnham, Fulnetby & Rand, Goxhill, Grayingham, Halbrough, Hardwick, Hatton, Kettleby, Kingthorpe, Langton, Melton Ross, Panton, Torrington (in both places having this name), Ulceby, Wootton and Wragby, plus lands originally held by Roger de Poitou (his fee having been earlier forfeited) at Beckering, Gimblethorpe, Holton, Riby, South Cadeby, Swallow and Welton-le-Wold. Geoffrey was also sub-tenant to the Earl of Chester in part of Riby.
By some undisclosed means almost all these holdings passed (probably early in the reign of King Henry II), to William Trussebut the younger, the most likely possibility being that William Trussebut the elder had married the sister and heir of Geoffrey FitzPayne, but this is only conjecture.
[TRUS441] William Trussebut the elder possibly married --- (sister & heir of Geoffrey FitzPayne, founder of Warter Priory). As Castellan of Bonneville-sur-Touques, Normandy, he successfully put to flight Count Godfrey V plantagenet of Anjou (father of King Henry II of England) and his troops from the neighbouring town of Touques (1138).
[TRUS451] William Trussebut the younger (born c.1130), Lord of Warter (Yorks), married [HARW352] Albreda (born c.1120, daughter of Roland, see HARCOURT-2). Albreda brought with her the land in Braunston (Northants). William also acquired as tenant-in-chief to the king most of the lands previously held by Geoffrey FitzPayne, afterwards known as the Trussebut Fee. William died 1175-76, and Albreda died 1205.
William left 2 sons and 3 daughters:
[TRUS461] Geoffrey (eldest son & heir of William) inherited the Trussebut Fee, but died without issue (1190).
[TRUS462] Robert (2nd son & William) inherited the Trussebut Fee from his brother Geoffrey, but he too died without issue (1193). In 1194 the Trussebut Fee was partitioned between his 3 sisters.
[TRUS463] Rohese (born c.1151, eldest daughter of William, and coheiress of her brother Robert) married [ROOS461] Everard (see HELMSLEY (ROS) BARONY). Her share was Great Ribston, Hunsingore, Walshford (Yorks), and Wragby (Lincs). She died in 1194, when her share of the Trussebut Fee passed to her eldest son Robert II de Ros.
[TRUS464] Hilary ([born c.1155], 2nd daughter of William, and coheiress of her brother Robert), married Robert de Boullers, hereditary Lord of Montgomery, (died 1203). Her share of the Trussebut Fee was Copgrove, Copmanthorpe, Water Fulford, Stillingfleet and West Cottingworth (Yorks), and Melton Ross (Lincs). Hilary died without issue (c. April 1241), and her coheirs were her surviving sister [TRUS464] Agatha, and her great nephew Sir William de Ros.
[TRUS465] Agatha (born c.1160, 3rd daughter of William, and coheiress of her brother Robert) married 1. [WOLV461] Hamon I FitzHamo de Wolverton (see WOLVERTON BARONY), (died c.1196-98); then 2. (September 1198) William III de Albini (see BELVOIR (ALBINI) FEUDAL LORDSHIP) who died 1236. Her share of the Trussebut Fee was North Deighton, Kirk Deighton, Little Cattal, Tockwith and Bracken (Yorks), and Ulceby and Grayingham (Lincs). Agatha died without issue (c.1246-47), and her heir was her great-nephew William de Ros (see HELMSLEY (ROS) BARONY).