RETURN TO CONTENTS PAGE
RETURN TO WAKEFIELD AREA FAMILIES OR KEMPLAY IN LEEDS PAGES
George Thompson Woodson was born in Kirkgate, Leeds, (4th June 1798), the only surviving son of William Woodson (born 1758) who had married Jane Best. George's paternal grandfather was therefore 6. John Woodson, who was also the grandfather of 4. Joseph Kemplay.
George Thompson Woodson (a merchant clerk) married (at Leeds, St. Peter, 1st November 1820) Ann Bolland (born in Vicar Lane, Leeds, 17th August 1788, daughter of John & Phoebe formerly Walker). The family were well-placed, George afterwards becoming a woollen cloth merchant. But they had no children of their own.
George Thompson Woodson died (age 68) in Francis Street, Leeds, (21st November 1866), followed by Ann (age 83) in Francis Street (29th June 1871).
There was a Joseph Bolland who was beneficiary (though just shown as a friend) of a wealthy Thomas Bolland (born c.1767) who died (age 81) in September 1818. This could have been the source of the "Kemplay money" which was alleged to have been due to George Kemplay, and this story was kept alive for a further hundred years or so.
Joseph Bolland (perhaps baptised at Leeds, St. Peter, 4th March 1798, son of John) married 1. (at Leeds, St. Peter, 2nd December 1822) Ann Greenwood (unidentified). There is no trace of any children from this marriage, and Ann seems to have died (age 22), buried at Leeds, St. John the Evangelist (25th August 1826). Joseph then appears to have married 2. (at Leeds, St. Peter, 4th February 1836) Ann Crowther. There was at least one child born by this union (Sarah Ann, 1837), and this may accord with the entry in the 1841 Census, of Ann Bolland (age 25-29) with her daughter "Ann" (age 3), though it is possible Ann Crowther may have in fact died (age 26), buried at Leeds, St. John the Evangelist (21st July 1837).
There is the possibility that Joseph Bolland was the brother of the Ann Bolland (perhaps born 1788) who married (at Leeds, St. Peter, 1st November 1820) George Thompson Woodson, already referred to earlier.
To add to the confusion, the "Leeds Intelligencer" newspaper of the period was owned by Messrs Bolland & Kemplay.